New Harris Poll: Americans strongly support the Endangered Species Act and wildlife decisions based on science
A new Harris poll has been released, showing VERY strong support across the board for upholding the Endangered Species Act, protecting wolves, and leaving wildlife decisions to scientists, not politicians.
Here are a few highlights:
* 92% of respondents agree that decisions about wildlife management and which animals need protection should be made by scientists, not politicians.
* 90% agree that the ESA has helped hundreds of species recover from the brink of extinction.
* 87% agree that the gray wolf is a vital part of America’s wilderness and natural heritage
* 87% agree that the ESA is a successful safety net for protecting wildlife, plants, and fish from extinction.
* 78% agree that the ongoing recovery of gray wolves in the Northern Rockies could be one of America’s greatest wildlife success. stories IF the Endangered Species Act is kept in place until the states have science-based management plans approved.
Right now, legislation in the Continuing Budget Resolution and stand-alone bills in Congress will, if passed, undermine the Endangered Species Act and strip protections for gray wolves across the country.
According to these latest poll results, these attacks are coming at a time when the vast majority of Americans are saying they do not want to sacrifice native wildlife for short-term political gain.
Please call your Senators and tell them about this poll. You can click to call here or quickly find your Senator’s phone number here.
Tell them that you and the overwhelming majority of Americans strongly support the Endangered Species Act and wolves, and ask them to vote against any C.R. bill or other legislation aimed at reducing protections for wolves.
Thank you for all you do for wolves.
Photo: Mexican gray wolf courtesy of the Endangered Wolf Center