Are you passionate about wildlife and social change?
We need you!
Founded in 1992, the Southwest Environmental Center is a Las Cruces-based nonprofit biodiversity conservation organization. We work to protect and restore native wildlife and their habitats in the Southwest through advocacy, education, grassroots organizing and on-the-ground restoration projects.
We are seeking a Field Organizer to mobilize grassroots public support for our campaigns to restore Mexican wolves and end wildlife killing contests. The ideal candidate will be someone who is energetic, outgoing, politically-inclined, creative, and passionate about protecting the natural world. The position is half-time to begin with, but may develop into full-time position. Organizing/campaign experience preferred but not required. Position is based in Las Cruces, NM.
• Creatively engage SWEC members and the public through a variety of means such as email alerts, social media, phone banks, presentations, field trips, letter-writing parties, tabling, newsletter articles, website, etc.
• Strategically identify and engage potential allies, including faith-based groups and hunters.
• Recruit, train and keep engaged a corps of volunteer activists. Utilize volunteers as much as possible.
• Proactively track and creatively respond to current events, agency actions and other external occurrences to generate “earned” (i.e. unpaid) media and demonstrate public support for SWEC’s campaigns.
• Utilize database to track and mobilize supporters.
• Develop traditional and online outreach/organizing materials, such as fact sheets, petitions, powerpoint presentations, sample letters, websites, email alerts, videos, etc.
• Coordinate with other SWEC staff, especially canvass director and canvassers, to achieve SWEC’s grassroots organizing goals.
• Develop content and maintain advocacy portions of SWEC website, e.g. petitions, advocacy volunteer opportunities, calls to action, etc.
• Monitor progress towards achieving organizing goals. Provide regular written and verbal reports to Executive Director. Evaluate effectiveness of organizing efforts and develop ways to improve them.
• Assist in efforts to increase SWEC’s membership.
• Assist with other SWEC activities as needed.
• Attend staff meetings.
• Keep on top of current national, regional and local affairs.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
• Must be energetic, outgoing, politically-inclined, creative, and passionate about protecting the natural world.
• Must be able to get along with and relate to with many kinds of people.
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
• Must have own car, and be able to work evenings, weekends and occasional overnight travel.
• Previous organizing and campaign experience a plus.
Compensation: $12-20K annual salary depending on qualifications, plus benefits.
To Apply: Send letter of interest and resume as a single pdf file to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.